Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Arkansas Today...What Would I Change...

Where do I start. First off I don't work in the TV News biz or anything close. I am just a regular viewer having grown up in Southwest Arkansas having access to all Shreveport and Little Rock stations on my cable system. With that said here is my opinion and what I think what needs to be improved on with the new Arkansas Today.

> First off-- Branding.. Come on go ahead and stick that Channel 6 logo up there next to the ticker and let folks know they are watching KTAL and not some new channel on the TV. But then again the goal may be NOT to associate Arkansas Today with the "local" station.

> Use your resources--Fill the time with news not fluff stories. You are attempting to provide information to the whole state of Arkansas and beyond. You have newsrooms and journalists you are not utilizing that could fill your entire 30 minute program with news! You are paying those folks...use them!

> Graphics--This is gotta get under control. You cannot mix graphics packages because it just looks like crap. Why not use the same graphics package at all the stations...makes sense to me...

> Local cut ins-- Really? Doesn't this beat the purpose of the whole concept of the program. Dee should do the weather PERIOD!

I have to wonder how many people out of Arkansas is watching this newscast. If I lived in Texas or Louisiana I know I wouldn't be interested in all the Arkansas news. What I can't grasp is the fact there are newsrooms down in Shreveport and Monroe and they aren't allowed to put on their own noon news program. You've got them on the payroll utilize them. People
want to see their local people and get their local news. But I guess it is saving a dollar or two.